Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Urges “Stay Fire Safe”
With households finding alternative ways to lower their energy costs, the risk of accidental fires and carbon monoxide poisoning increases. To help combat these risks, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) is joining the National Fire Chiefs Council’s Stay Fire Safe campaign. This campaign provides information and advice on how to safely use wood burning stoves, candles, portable heaters, etc. It also stresses the importance of properly cleaning and maintaining chimneys to avoid fires.
Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Alasdair Perry, Head of Prevention and Protection for SFRS, said: “Fuel poverty and rises in the cost of living are a real concern as we anticipate seeing a change in behaviours at home as people try to cope with rising costs.” He added “We remind people not to use camping stoves or barbecues indoors, to use the correct fuels for woodburning stoves and open fires and if using candles, to use these safely, or use LED lights or torches. Also, be aware of potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning if using old or unfamiliar heaters.
“We also remind people of our Make the Call campaign and to look out for others. If you know someone who is over 50 and smokes, and who has either mobility issues or used medical oxygen or lives alone, please arrange a Home Fire Safety Visit on their behalf.”
If you know of someone who needs a Home Fire Safety Visit, get in touch by calling 0800 0731 999. Or text FIRE to 80800. Help to support those who are most at risk of fire.
For further instruction on fire safety, individuals and companies can benefit from Emcare’s courses, including Fire Safety Awareness, Fire Extinguishers, Fire Warden, and Introduction to Fire Risk Assessment.
Source: SFRS’s website (https://www.firescotland.gov.uk/news/2022/october/cost-of-living_stay-fire-safe-campaign/), which has links to Make the Call Campaign, online advice on how to stay safe at home, an assessment tool to determine how safe your home is, and how to check for recalls of your heating appliances.