WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is designed for anyone wishing to expand emergency first aid skills.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the first aider
- Assessing the situation and acting safely, effectively and promptly in an emergency
- The Chain of Survival
- Dealing with an unconscious casualty
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Basic anatomy & physiology of the heart
- Common heart problems
- Overview of an AED
- Care of AED equipment
- Use of AED
ASSESSMENT AND QUALIFICATION
Continuous assessment by the Trainer. Successful learners will receive a certificate of attendance which is valid for one year.
Over 150,000 people die from cardiac arrests in the UK each year. Where an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is used quickly can improve the chance of survival from 5% – 80%. It is also said that AED’s can be up to 8 times more successful than Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) at restarting the heart.
Learners must be physically able to carry out procedures required to meet Resuscitation Council UK assessment criteria. Learners are recommended to attend a one day course after the one year period to keep skills up to date.